Smashed avocado is so 2016. Smashed eggs on toast is where it’s at now. I have posted these babies on Instagram a few times now, so I was pretty happy when this month’s Recipe ReDux gave me an excuse to share the recipe.
We were challenged to cook with at least three ingredients we already had in the fridge and pantry – rather than go out and buy ingredients to create our recipe. Sweet. There’s always eggs, bread and butter in my kitchen.
I could have gone in search of more ingredients hanging about in my kitchen to make an elaborate dish, but I am pretty sure by now you know that ‘simple, and ‘quick’ are my essential key selection criteria when it comes to cooking.
I have suggested 1-2 pieces of toast per person in this recipe, but that is based purely on how hungry you are. Personally, I prefer a generous pile of smashed eggs on my toast, which is why I only have one piece shown in the photos.Print
Smashed Eggs on Toast
Smashed avocado is so 2016. Smashed eggs on toast is where it’s at now.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 2 eggs per person
- 1-2 slices bread per person
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil
- Carefully add eggs and boil for 7-8 minutes
- While the eggs are boiling, put the bread on to toast and chop the chives
- Once the eggs are boiled, rinse under cold water and peel
- Add eggs to a bowl with the butter and chives. Used a fork to smash eggs up and mix everything together. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Divide smashed eggs between the pieces of toast and serve immediately