The first (and only) tandoori chicken pizza I ever tried was at a little pizza café in Balaclava in Melbourne. It was the first time I had tried fresh tomato on a pizza as well as toppings that were added after the pizza was cooked. My mind was sufficiently blown! Unfortunately the pizza joint has since closed down and for some reason I had never thought to try and re-create the pizza at home. So this month’s theme to create a healthy pizza was my kick up the butt to give it a go.
In order to make this pizza healthy AND delicious, I applied the three secrets to making the best homemade pizza that I learnt at my pizza masterclass last year. So for this pizza:
Secret 1 Preparation is everything: I cooked some extra chicken when I made my tandoori chicken, zucchini fritters and salsa and popped it in the fridge ready for the pizza.
Secret 2 It’s all in the cheese: I used a small amount of Perfect Italiano’s Pizza Plus cheese to give the perfect melt and stretch
Secret 3 Garnish to become a pizza guru: I garnished my pizza once it came out of the oven with fresh rocket (arugula), cucumber slices and yoghurt
OK, so let’s talk about why this pizza is better for you. In addition to the fact it is topped with fresh green veggies and has a great source of protein from the chicken, I have used a Goodness Superfoods Wholegrain Barley Wrap for the base. I came across these wraps last year and not only do they taste good (there is no dry cardboard here!), they are high in fibre and are low GI. They are also the perfect size for making a satisfying pizza for one.
- 1 Goodness Superfoods Wholegrain Barley Wrap
- 1 tablespoon tomato passata
- 1 small Roma tomato, sliced
- 100g cooked tandoori chicken, diced (see notes)
- 30g pizza cheese
- Rocket (arugula) leaves
- Sliced Lebanese cucumber
- Greek yoghurt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Spread the tomato passata over the Barley Wrap base
- Top base with sliced tomato, tandoori chicken pieces and cheese
- Bake in oven for five minutes or until cheese has melted
- Once out of the oven, top with rocket leaves, cucumber slices and dot some yoghurt onto each cucumber slice
What are your tips for making a healthy pizza?