I’m raising a salted brownie truffle in honour of The Recipe Redux’s 6th birthday. I can’t believe it has been six years since my first contribution which, funnily enough, was also a dessert (I will let you trawl back through the archives for it if you dare – warning bad flash photography ahead!).
To celebrate, we are making cake – or other small bite desserts. You may recall that cake and I don’t really get along, but I do love a good brownie. Luckily the best ones I have ever tasted are close by to my house.
But a piece of brownie just didn’t seem festive enough for me. Enter the salted brownie truffle. They are more time consuming to make, which as you know for me would normally rule a recipe out. But birthdays deserve a little more love and effort, so it was worth it.
These are hand rolled, hand dipped and just the right size to hold in one hand while sipping a glass of your favourite celebratory drink with the other.
Happy Birthday Recipe ReDux!
Salted Brownie Truffles
The humble brownie just got sophisticated. Hand rolled and hand dipped, these salted brownie truffles are just the right size to hold in one hand while sipping a glass of your favourite celebratory drink with the other.
- Prep Time: 85 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: 25-30 balls
- Category: Dessert
200g dark chocolate
3 large eggs
160g caster sugar
50g plain flour
200g milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan-forced (325°F) and line a brownie tin with non-stick baking paper
- Melt butter and dark chocolate together in a glass bowl – a couple of 25-second zaps in the microwave and stirring in between should do it!
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar
- Add the melted butter and chocolate and flour to the egg mixture and stir to combine
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Allow to cool
- Take a fork and break up the tray of brownies to form crumbs (you might want to discard the edges as they might be too crispy). Use a tablespoon measure to scoop up crumbs and then use your hand to form small, bite-sized balls. Place the brownie balls on a tray and freeze for 30 minutes
- Melt the milk chocolate in the microwave. Coat the brownie balls in the melted chocolate and use a fork to scoop out the balls and hdrain off the excess chocolate. Return to the tray and sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate until set
- Remove from the fridge about 10-15 minutes prior to serving