I spent a lovely Saturday a couple of weeks ago elbows deep in tomatoes making sauce with some of my dietitian and foodie friends as part of the Ceres Crowdsaucing day. The weather was glorious, the prosecco was flowing and we had a big Mediterranean style feast full of small plates and finger food that all of the guests contributed.
So it was a stroke of luck that this month’s Recipe ReDux theme was small plates and finger food! For once I was ahead of the game with my smashed pea and feta toast that I had taken to the passata party.
But because we had 100kg of tomatoes to get through, we didn’t get to feast on all of the food until later in the afternoon, so sorry to my crowdsaucing friends, the smashed pea and feta toast that I sampled straight away after I made them fresh in the morning were much better than the ones that were on the buffet table that you got to eat later that day 🙁 . But hey- that’s recipe testing for you! My conclusion is that this recipe IS a winner, it is just one that you have to prepare and serve straight away. But given it only takes 15 minutes, it is not going to eat into your entertaining time too much.
Smashed Pea and Feta Toast
Move over smashed avo, smashed pea and feta toast is new in town. Perfect small bites for entertaining.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 20-25
- Category: Finger Food
- 300g peas (frozen is fine – they just need to be defrosted)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100g feta
- 80g packet of French mini toast
- Add the peas and olive oil to a bowl and using a fork, mash the peas (they don’t need to be mashed fully like mashed potato- more like smashed peas!)
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the feta in and then mix carefully
- Arrange the mini toast on your serving tray and then divide the smashed pea mixture between the toast
- Serve immediately